MS Outlook is one of the most sought-after email clients which stores data in Personal Storage Tables or PST format. Despite its popularity and widespread usage, the application is prone to corruption, and in most cases, the user is unable to resolve the problem. One such error when Outlook becomes reachable due to 'PST file is Empty' generates kerfuffle. Such errors are fixed either with an inbuilt utility like Scanpst.exe or by installing a professional software.
'PST File is empty' or 'PST file not showing emails' occurs when the PST file gets corrupt or damaged, and it may lead to the MS Outlook not available issue. If you are experiencing this error, then it is most likely that the Outlook files are corrupt. There may be many reasons due to which the PST file is corrupt. These reasons are available below. Try to analyze the cause of the error due to which the PST file is empty:
• PST file sharing at the unsecured network where other users have access to modify your PST files
• PST file size is MS Outlook versions specific. Oversized PST file corrupts the file header thus leading to PST – inaccessibility
• Unexpected system crash when MS Outlook is still running may damage PST file and cause an error 'PST file is empty.'
• Compacting of PST file may sometimes lead to corrupt PST file and ultimately data loss
• The intrusion of the harmful virus may attack the system and point to corrupt PST file
• Bad sectors on the hard disk where PST is saved may damage the PST and lead to PST file is an empty error
Solutions to fix the PST file is empty error
- With Outlook Inbuilt utility – Scanpst.exe
- With professional software like Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair
With MS Outlook Inbuilt Utility
Inbox Repair tool Scanpst.exe is an efficient utility to fix the PST file when a user receives an error message 'PST file is empty'. Steps to recover data from corrupt PST:
• Diagnoses the Corruption in PST file
• Assesses the state of file structure and
• Reconstructs the header after correcting the error. Potentially repairs corrupted data segments with repeat running of the exe file.
- The scanpst.exe utility cannot execute repair task when there is drastic error attack
- Lesser success rate wherein PST file suffering from complex corruption does not get desired output
- Scanpst.exe may halt before completing the entire process
With professional software - Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair
The software repairs the corrupt PST files and efficiently restores all mailbox components like Emails, Contacts, Calendars, Journals and more into a new PST File. Chances of further corruption in PST file are reduced as the corrupt PST file is no longer in use. Multiple saving options like HTML, PDF, EML, MSG, and RTF ensures selective saving where the user can save particular mail components.
Steps to recover emails:
- Select the PST with error 'PST file is empty.'
- Click on Scan button, and preview file opens after successful scanning
- Verify the mail contents and click on Save button
The software creates a fresh PST file and saves at preferred location.
If the PST file is not available due to an error 'PST file is empty' then the most convenient option is to repair the PST with Outlook inbox utility or Scanpst.exe. However, The inbuilt software has numerous limitations and may not yield expected results. On the contrary, Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair software repairs the corrupt PST file and saves data in a new PST or other multiple formats. The software retrieves data from encrypted and password-protected PST files. Also, the Technician version enables direct export of recovered PST file to Office 365. The same software supports all versions of MS Outlook, i.e., 2016 and prior versions.
There can be multiple reasons for PST file empty. The software works on the principle "all the data you will find in preview will also able to access in Outlook". So use the demo version of software first.